These vegan lentil meatballs are made with canned lentils, oats, shallots, and spices. Served with a simple and delicious marinara sauce. Serve this over rice, pasta, or roasted vegetables.
These vegan lentil meatballs are so delicious you won’t be able to stop making them. What I love most about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can add some spinach to these, parmesan cheese, chili peppers, etc. Although, I believe this recipe is perfect just as is. This is the perfect recipe for your friends who are vegan and gluten-free. It’s just a delicious and convenient recipe. It is also good for you. I love eating these straight out of a bowl but feel free to enjoy them with any sides you’d like.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need:
- Peeled Canned Tomato
- Dried Thyme
- Cumin Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Vegan Lentil Meatballs
Start off by rinsing the canned lentils. Next, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Season to taste and add more oats if the dough is too wet. Form the meatballs using your hands or a mini scoop. Refrigerate the veggie balls for 15 minutes. Fry them in oil until golden brown on all sides or bake them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees f for 12-15 minutes.
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- Use chickpeas or any type of lentils you have on hand for this recipe.
- Incorporate some green hot chilies for some spice.
- Add a splash of sriracha sauce for extra flavor.
- Incorporate some additional veggies into the mix.
You will love these vegan meatballs and they will become a staple at your house, they are just so good. This is a fail-proof recipe that the entire family will enjoy!
More Recipe Ideas…
Vegan Lentil Meatballs
- 1 can lentils rinsed and dried
- 1 cup oats
- 1 Italian peeled tomato or 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup shallot finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil shallot and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a big bowl, add all ingredients except the remaining oil. Combine with your hands (don't overmix) until a textured dough forms. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- If the dough is too wet, add a bit more oats.
- Gently form small balls using your hands. Add to a plate and store in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, heat the pan you used earlier with 2 tablespoons oil. Once hot, add the vegballs and sauté until each side are golden brown. Transfer on kitchen paper to absorb the excess of oil.
- The vegballs can be served as it is with dips or you can add some marinara sauce.