Inspired by the candy bar, this instant pot mounds cheesecake is chocolate coconut perfection. Layers of cookie crust, two cheesecake fillings, and a coconut topping make an indulgent and beautiful dessert.
Chocolate and coconut are always a winning combination. In this creamy, decadent cheesecake, that combination is repeated in four different layers that combine into a gourmet dessert you can easily make in your Instant Pot.
The crunchy chocolate cookie crust is topped with two cheesecake layers – coconut and chocolate. After a quick bake in your Instant Pot, it’s topped with a simple sugar drizzle and finished with toasted coconut. It’s a Mound’s bar lovers’ dream cheesecake.
How to Make
- Make the chocolate cookie crust by combining cookie crumbs, butter, and sugar. Press it into a greased and lined springform pan and freeze.
- Prepare the coconut cheesecake layer by beating all the ingredients except egg until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until just incorporated. Pour into the crust and return to the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate and cream for the chocolate layer by microwaving and stirring in 10 second bursts until smooth. Set aside.
- Complete the chocolate layer by beating the ingredients in this order: the cream cheese alone, then with sugar, then with cooled chocolate, sour cream, and rum extract. Finish with the egg and egg yolk, beating on low, until combined.
- Prepare your cheesecake for cooking by pouring the chocolate layer on top. Then seal the pan with aluminum foil and pour 1 cup of water into your instant pot.
- Cook your Mounds Cheesecake on the trivet of your Instant Pot for 35 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before manually opening the pot.
- Prepare your topping by toasting the coconut in a 400°F oven and mixing the milk, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Decorate your cheesecake with a lattice of icing and a layer of toasted coconut.
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Use a #3 or smaller writing tip for the lattice and number #4-B star tip for the border to have your Mounds Cheesecake decorated as pictured.
- Swap vanilla extract for the rum extract if needed, and for a pure white icing, use a clear vanilla extract if possible.
- For pipeable icing, start with less milk and add more as needed.
- Use chocolate graham crackers or chocolate sandwich cookies and crush into crumbs if you can’t find prepared chocolate cookie crumbs.
Does This Freeze Well?
Cheesecake freezes well either whole or in slices. Wrap well in plastic and foil, then store for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge before eating.
Be sure you’re using coconut cream not milk for the coconut layer. Find this near the evaporated milk in your grocery store.
More Delicious Desserts You’ll Love…
Instant Pot Mounds Cheesecake
- Instant Pot
- 2 cups chocolate graham cookies crushed
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup coconut cream not coconut milk
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- Cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the bottom of your 8-inch springform pan. Lightly spray paper and sides on the pan with a non-stick cooking spray. Combine chocolate cookie crumbs, granulated sugar, and softened butter. Should resemble wet sand. Press into the bottom and about ½-inch up the side of the prepared pan. Place the pan in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Beat cream cheese, corn starch, granulated sugar, coconut extract, and coconut cream until fluffy. Add in eggs and beat on low, just until combined. Pour into pan and place back in the freezer while mixing the chocolate layer.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate and cream. Heat in 10- second increments, stirring between each until melted. Set aside and allow to cool. Using a hand-held mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat again until fluffy. Add cooled chocolate, extract and sour cream and mix until combined completely. Add egg and egg yolk and mix on low just until combined. Pour on top of the first layer in the cheesecake pan.
- Put a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pan and seal edges. Add one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the cheesecake pan on the trivet and lower it into the pot. Seal Instant Pot lid according to Instant Pot instructions and cook on high for 35 min. Let rest for 10 min. then manually release.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in a 400° oven for about 10 min. or until browned. Mix together the powdered sugar, half of the milk, vanilla extract, and salt till light and fluffy. Add more of the milk as needed to make a piping consistency. Using a #3 or similar small writing tip, make a lattice on the cake by running lines vertically, then horizontally across the cake. Using a #4-B open star tip (or similar) pipe an edge around the cake. Sprinkle toasted coconut across the top of the cheesecake.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before enjoying.
Leave a Reply